Somerville Community Corporation Annual Meeting

Posted by Ezra Glenn on February 10, 2012
Good Causes

Last night was the annual meeting of the Somerville Community Corporation, which is always a great event, and this year was no exception. In addition to me being elected president along with a great slate of officers and new board members, it was a great chance to showcase some of the work of the organization over the past year.

One of the most exciting new efforts is the new Interactive Somerville website, which is helping to engage the community around the challenge of planning for the new MBTA Green Line extension. In essence, SCC and our community partners are working to crowd-source the entire planning process in a fun and collaborative on-line space. There are some great ideas there, and as with all good planning processes, the community we develop around the plan is as important as the community we will develop through it. At the meeting, we gave a special award to MAPC’s Christian Spanring for the countless hours he has put into getting this project off the ground and into its current state of excellence.

Another new on-line effort that was presented was the launching of our new Everyone’s Somerville site, which helps make the case for keeping Somerville affordable. This is the cause that brought me to SCC, and it provides the foundation for all the work we do, whether it is bricks-and-mortar housing development, community organizing campaigns, or new virtual spaces for community building.

If you are as inspired as I am by the work of SCC, please consider helping us out by Donating to SCC.

(I also need to give a huge thanks to Janine Lotti, our outgoing president, who has done so much to lead us over the past four years. Luckily, she is staying on the Board and I know she will continue to be a great friend to both me and SCC.)

Tags: , , ,